Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Of Sandalwood and Childhood

The smell of Sandalwood always reminds me of my childhood.

Because we have Spanish family members, the bar soap that you’d often find in our bathrooms was Mama. It was a Spanish brand with a black and red packaging, punctuated with a dancing Spanish woman. That soap had a very strong Sandalwood scent.

So did Peach Blossom, another soap that you’d find in our bathrooms. It was this wood coloured soap with a super strong scent that stays on long after you’ve used it.

Then, there’s Lola Dita’s Wood fan. It also emitted that same scent profile each time she opens and uses it.

Because of these scent memories, I’ve had a fondness for Sandalwood scents. Even if most people find it too old, i’d Always find myself gravitating towards that kind of scent.

That’s why Diptyque’s “Tam Dao” appealed to me the moment Imtook a whiff at Shinsegae Duty Free in Myeongdong.


Let me say, it’s like reliving my childhood with every spray.

No comments: