Friday, January 20, 2023

FMM: Great Hole of China

Because it's Chinese New Year this weekend, today's Friday Magic Madness song is inspired by this country where the celebration originated.

No, it's not a Canto-pop song or a traditional Chinese song. It's actually a song from my fave 80s diva, Cyndi Lauper!

This song wasn't as big a hit as her other iconic ditties like "Girls just wanna have fun" or "Time After Time," or even "She Bop." But the first time this song played on-air, it caught my ear and led me to buy a cassette tape back in 1988. It's a song that'll only sound familiar if, like me, you're a Cyndi fan.


"Hole in my Heart, (all the way to China)" has the same upbeat instrumentation and energy of Cyndi's songs. And the premise of having a hole in your heart that goes all the way to China was quirky and clever.

That's a classic and another great song from Cyndi!

No comments: