Sunday, March 28, 2021

Rejoice!

This will be the 2nd year that we're celebrating Palm Sunday virtually.


The Palm Sunday Mass is one of my favourite masses during the Holy Week. There's such an uplifting feeling each time the congregation lifts up and shakes the palms while the priest walks through the sea of palms, blessing them.

It's such a joyous sight that harks back to the time when Jesus walked through a rejoicing crowd, with Palms in the air. When I read the bible as a kid, I'd play this scene in my head. Then, when films and TV shows came out depicting this scene, it was exactly what I had in my head.

I also miss spending Palm Sunday with Mark in Tokyo, particularly in the Franciscan Chapel. They give away palms there for free, same as they do in HKG. But the Palms there look quite different from the very ornate Palms we have here in the Philippines.

We might be at home again for Palm Sunday this year, but we celebrate and remember with joy the start of the Holy Week.


No comments: