Saturday, March 27, 2021

Not Weak at all

From the time she won the 1st edition of American Idol, I've always been a Kelly Clarkson fan.

In fact, her music has been part of my adult life. When I moved to HKG, she "accompanied" me since I'd play her "Breakaway" CD each time I'd feel antsy or melancholic. For years, her CD was on repeat at home - almost everyday! Especially "Since U Been Gone."

It's been almost 20 years since she won that singing contest, and Kelly is still considered as THE most successful product of these reality shows. 

There are many reasons for her success. First, obviously, is that voice! Powerful, evocative and distinct. Second, she's dynamic, not sticking to just one kind of genre. Third, she reinvents herself. While a singer first and foremost, she's also a host and a judge. Fourth, she's an inspiration. 

Recently, I've been binge-watching the "Kellyoke" portion of her talk show, and it never fails to put a smile on my face. Her renditions of popular songs from the past is just stellar.

Just like her rendition of the classic SWV ditty, "Weak."


While I'm a massive fan of SWV and there's no one who can sing this song as well as they can, Kelly's version is at par and not weak at all!

No comments: