Friday, February 12, 2021

FMM: Harry and Mama Mary

Debbie Harry and Blondie has a special place in my memory and my heart.

This is the cassette tape we'd usually listen to when we'd take a long road trip from Manila to Albay as kids. Sometimes, I'd be the one sitting in front of the car and it would be my job to flip the tape when Side A was done and we'd listen to Side B.

Yup, we were old school that way.

From then on, I had an affinity both for Blondie (the group) and Debbie Harry (the lead singer.) It was an affinity that continued even when Debbie Harry went solo and churned out hits on her own.

Now, yesterday was the Feast of our Lady of Lourdes. I've said this many times that I have an affinity to Our Lady because I'm a Lourdesian and we studied her life in our CL classes every year. Mama Mary has also been a huge part of our lives - from childhood to present.

So, today's Friday Magic Madness song is a combination of these two women:


Debbie Harry's "Maria" was one of the songs she recorded during her comeback in the 90s. It was written by a long-time collaborator - Jimmy Destri - and is about his Catholic School upbringing. It might not exactly be about Mama Mary, but since it has a reference to Catholicism, I'm assuming that it might be about her as well.

After listening to this song, I have the urge to visit the National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes in Retiro - the church where I used to go as an elementary and high school kid, the church where I used to sing, and the church where I used to perform the "Transitus" and other religious performances.

Soon. I'll do that soon.

No comments: