Thursday, June 06, 2019

From a far away time in a far away land...

My friends and colleagues always remark that they’re amazed whenever I remember my students, their names, and my experience with them in class.

Maybe it’s a built-in mechanism among teachers. I mean, my high school teachers still remember me. And I graduated from high school almost 3 decades ago.

When I was in Incheon Airport, I was sitting across this young lady wearing a face mask. While I could only see her eyes, I immediately thought that her eyes looked familiar. And that she was a former student of mine. From almost 2 decades back.

While I had a hunch, i wasn’t completely confident about it. So, I decided to just let it pass.

Then, when we got to immigration, she had to remove her mask. That’s when I saw her, and that’s when I confirmed that she was indeed my former student.

Since you can’t talk while in the immigration line, I had to wait until outside the gate to talk to her. At first, I thought she’s be gone, but luckily she was there. So, I quickly approached her and said:

“You’re Sheiyl, right? I used to be your professor.”

And that’s how I met my student from a far away time, in a far away place.


This is one of the reasons why I enjoy being a teacher.

No comments: