Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Sketchy Stories: Fifties and fabulous!

About a month ago, Ate Bullet told me that she was attending a 50s themed party, and that the celebrator wanted guests to come in theme. She also told me that she was thinking of wearing something floral.

From that brief, out came the pen and paper. The sketch followed soon after.




I've always equated the 50s to classic cuts and ball skirts. So, the top of the dress was a simple boat neck with elbow length sleeves. To give it a contemporary look, the back was completely open - something probably unheard of that era. Finally, to cinch the waist, I added a black grossgrain belt.

Then, I went to the fabric stash to find the perfect floral fabric for this - and I found it.

With a little help from the family dressmaker, this fabulous fifties dress happened.


It was everything we envisioned it to be. And the back was a great highlight, as well as a pleasant surprise.


According to Ate, she got a lot of complements about the dress. It fit the theme perfectly, and she wore it excellently.

I guess that makes the sketch a success.

No comments: