Tuesday, January 17, 2017

What's old is new again!

That's just how fashion works.

Trends rotate in about 7 to 10 years, so you have the tendency to have a sartorial deja vu. The items you once wore a decade ago is suddenly current and en vogue.

Case in point: embellished jeans. Which is slowly going back in the spotlight, as seen in this Topshop window display.


My first impression of this pair of jeans was: "Gosh! That's so 2006!"

Because it really is!

The embellished jeans trend exploded when I was still living in HKG. Back then, almost all stores - from big fast fashion brands in the mall to the smallest stall in Fa Yuen Street - had embellished jeans on their racks. The embellishment ranged from yarn embroidery to patch work to swarovski crystals.

It was such a big thing that it was impossible NOT to see anyone wearing this type of jeans. And admittedly, I joined the trend, buying a couple of pairs myself. (I think I still have one of them.)

I should tell the Ates that the trend is back. This is the best time to unearth their embellished jeans and show them off again.

No comments: