Sunday, January 08, 2017

Anniversary, Unedited.

Today is my Mom and Dad's 51st wedding anniversary! I can't believe it's been a year since we celebrated their Golden year!


During their anniversary reception, the 5 of us had to give a short speech for our parents. As the youngest, I was the last to speak.

My speech was already set in my head. I knew what to say and ran it in my mind a few times. And when I got up the stage, things were going pretty well.

Until...

About 1/3 into my speech, I started to feel the tears welling in my eyes. Yup, I was about to cry. And the problem was, none of my 4 siblings cried. Not even Ate Lissa and Ate Bullet - who I actually expected to.

So, in my mind, I was saying: "Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry."

I was so busy thinking of that mantra that I messed up the rest of my speech. While I was able to say most of it, there were some bits that I forgot.

So, on the occasion of my parents' 51st wedding anniversary, here's what I really wanted to say, unedited:

=================================================

It’s always difficult being the last to speak because by the time they get to you, everyone else has said everything. You’ve probably heard the words: “Happy Anniversary” a hundred times. So, for the 101st time, Happy Anniversary.

More than that, I also want to say “Thank you,” to both of you. Thank you because who I am is because of who you raised me to be.

I am the best of both my parents.

I have my Dad’s good looks, but I have my Mom’s height and skin color. (Sorry Dad.) I have my Mom’s patience, but I have my Dad’s temper. (Sorry Mom.) I like to shop, like my Dad, but I’m stingy, like my Mom.

Not to say that my parents are complete opposites. Both my Mom and Dad are very caring and loving. They’re both very family oriented. And they’re both very generous.

My parents are 2 of the most generous people I know. I saw this while I was growing up. They gave so much of themselves, even to a point when they didn’t have any left for themselves. They’re generous materially. But more than that, they’re generous with their time, generous with advice, and generous with themselves. And that’s one of the things I’m grateful for.

Thank you for teaching me to be generous. And that’s just one of the things I’d like to thank you for.

Thank you for letting us live the lives we want.
Thank you for allowing us to be ourselves.
Thank you for allowing us to choose the path we want to take.
Thank you for allowing us to choose who we’ll love.
Thank you for allowing us to find our own happiness.

Thank you for the good genes, of course.

Thank you for teaching us to believe in forever.

And thank you for teaching us that a relationship doesn’t have to be perfect for it to be worthwhile.

Mom and Dad, I don’t say this often, not aloud at least, but let me say it in front of everyone today:

I love you, Mom.
I love you, Dad.
I love you both, so, so, so, much.

(And this is the point where I would've bawled like a baby. Harhar.)

No comments: