Saturday, October 01, 2016

Material world: So solihiya!

Growing up, we were always surrounded by solihiya furniture - whether it was our old house in Morato, the beach house in Bacacay, or the Regalado's ancestral home in Malinao. My recollection of the solihiya was how comfortable it was, but also how it would leave a weird pattern on my skin after sitting on it for an extended period of time.


There's something beautiful about the solihiya. The intricacy of the pattern, the masterful weaving, and the interplay of circles and geometric shapes - they all add up to a look that's simple, elegant and unmistakably Pinoy.

A few weeks ago, I saw this fabric that reminded me so much of the solihiya.


It has that same geometric orientation, coupled with some circles included in the pattern. It was such a beautiful fabric that I had to buy a few yards of it.


And it turned out to be a lucky purchase. According to the store owner, she only had 6 yards of that fabric and it was just a sample from the supplier. She's not even sure if this fabric will be carried here in Manila!

Just looking at the fabric, I think I know what this will turn out to be.

No comments: