Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Ming and I

I've always wanted to do a Ming-dynasty inspired gift wrapping theme. The problem was that it was so, SO difficult to find the right wrapping paper. It came to a point when I was even willing to have my wrappers custom printed, but I couldn't meet their minimum number of wrappers.

Last year, I was able to find a wrapper that was close to what I had in mind. Unfortunately, they didn't have enough in stock, so that theme had to be postponed yet again.

Just as I was about to give up, I found this wrapper at one of my favorite wrapper haunts - The Wrap Shop.


It was perfect! The pattern and the color were what I had in mind when I was planning this theme. It was very oriental, yet had this European vibe to it. The wrapper was a mash-up of a Ming vase, damask and trompe l'oleil. How perfectly artsy!

To complete the Oriental theme, I opted to use red as the accent color. You can't get any more Chinese than red. After that, I designed my gift tag, also adorned with very Chinese motifs.


As a final Chinese touch, I threw in a red tassel into the mix.


After gathering all the materials, it was time to get to it.

Since the wrapper was patterned, I had to make sure that the print was aligned just right. It took a lot of trial and error, but I eventually found the right way to do it.


Unlike previous years when I'd always use 2 ribbons, I opted to use just one ribbon, but with a thicker width. The interplay of the red ribbon on the Ming-print was just as I envisioned it.


Then, the finishing touches.


And voila! This year's Christmas wrapping theme - A Merry, Ming-y Christmas!


Another dream wrapping theme done!


Now it's time to dream up next year's theme.

No comments: