Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Mass of memories


As the Simbang Gabi season officially starts, I'm reminded of my childhood when this tradition was something we'd excitedly look forward to and be part of.

Back then, we still lived in Scout Gandia, and we'd go to St. Paul the Apostle Parish in Timog. As early as 3:30am, we'd be awake and getting ready for mass. I'd usually go with my cousins, and I remember that it was Harold who would be the most diligent in hearing mass.

One of the highlights of the mass in St. Paul's was the free breakfast. After mass, there would be people waiting outside to hand out hot chocolate, coffee and bread to the parishioners. At one time, they were even giving out Dunkin Donuts.

But no, that wasn't the reason why we'd go to mass every 4:00am.

Now, with the advent of Anticipated Simbang Gabi, I think the 4:00am crowd has lessened. Personally, I've found myself hearing the anticipated version more now. Mainly because we'd often be working overtime and getting up at 4:00am is a challenge.

Whether it's at 8:00pm or 4:00pm, the important thing is that we still get to honor this tradition of Simbang Gabi this Christmas season.

No comments: