Thursday, August 08, 2013

Damask Us

There's something very elegant and old world about Damask. Which isn't a wonder since its origins really tell a story of old world elegance. A story that goes all the way back to the Middle Ages in Damascus where the weaving technique was perfected.

I've always gravitated towards Damask prints. So much so that 3 of my gift wrapping themes used Damask patterns as base. Whenever I visit museums in Europe, I'm always fascinated by their use of Damask on their walls. Heck, I chose my hotel room in Prague based on the Damask wallpaper I saw on their website.

Lately, there have been a lot of this print on articles of clothing. Needless to say, they're articles that automatically went into my sisters' stash by virtue of the lovely print.

First, these gray jeggings from the Simply Vera Wang collection.


The ornate print pops out as it is, and the fit of the jeggings call for a top that's more loose and relaxed. Such as this black top with sheer shoulders from Terranova.


This creates a look where Damask serves as the base of the outfit.


Then, i saw this loose silk top from Bread and Butter with the print rendered in black and white.


Using the same principle, since the top is loose and ornate, the bottom should be form fitting and plain. That's why these Zara jeans are perfect.


That's another take on the Damask trend, with the highlight being on top of the outfit.


These are two instances when hiding behind Damask is actually a good thing. A very good and fashionable thing.

No comments: