Friday, May 03, 2013

FMM: Yma hooked!

Fridays are all about old music, and when the subject of music comes up, Dad automatically comes to mind.

My Dad is a big music fan. One of my most vivid memories of childhood is my Dad's cassette tape collection. I think the had more than a hundred cassette tapes, arranged neatly and alphabetically in different tape decks. He even had a typewritten catalog of his collection. It was a lot of hard work, but that's how much he's into music.

Because of his music collection, I grew up with an eclectic knowledge of music. While most of the 80s kids were listening to punk and new wave, I'd be listening to classical music, jazz, folk rock, and country.

Thanks to Dad, I had an appreciation for Ferrante and Teicher, Richard Clayderman, Seawind, Pauline Wilson, The Mamas and the Papas, Shirley Bassey, among many others.

I also learned to appreciate non-English music, too. Dad had a collection of Spanish, Italian, Brazilian, and even Peruvian music. It was through him that I learned about this awesome exotica singer named Yma Sumac. She mixed genres seamlessly, blending opera with mambo, with a big band flair. And among her songs, the one that captures this blend best is "Malambo No. 1."



Listening to this song again brings back memories of childhood. Which is what Friday Magic Madness is about.

I should find myself a CD of Yma Sumac.

No comments: