Monday, May 13, 2013

Confessions of a disenfranchised voter

While most Filipinos are out exercising their right to suffrage, I'm home sorting out clothes to send to Bicol.

Yes, I'm not voting. Not because I don't want to, but I simply can't. Such is the case for both 2010 and 2013.

Don't get me wrong. I've always voted. Heck, I've always wanted to vote. One of the reasons why I looked forward to my 18th birthday was the fact that I could vote right after. Since then, I've never missed an election.

In fact, it was because I never wanted to miss an election that I registered as an overseas voter when I was still living in HKG. Upon my return to the Philippines, I found out that my name has been removed from the voters list in my former precinct. Thus, I wasn't able to vote last 2010. (The only option would have been to go to HKG and vote there, which I could've done, but didn't.)

I should've learned my lesson back then and re-registered prior to the 2013 elections. It was really my plan, but as some plans usually go, it didn't materialize. So, for the 2nd time around, I was disenfranchised. Boo!

That said, I can't complain about the results of today's mid-term elections. After all, I'm not part of it. But 2016 is another story. That's the year that we'll choose a new president who'll lead us for another 6 years, so the need to register is greater.

With something that monumental, I'd like my voice to be heard.

No comments: