Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lacks Luxe

When I read about the Randy Ortiz and Kashieca collaboration last October, I thought that the items would fly off the shelves. After all, the items were thoughtfully designed, beautifully made, and with a very easy fabric to boot.



In fact, I ended up buying a few pieces the day they came out. Something I've never done for a local brand before. Again, it was because I found the pieces so coveted that I feared that they'd run out of stock quickly.

I guess I was wrong.

When I dropped by Kashieca at Gateway today, I found out that the Luxe line by Randy Ortiz is now being sold at 50% off. More surprising is the fact that the price has gone lower and lower since February. Starting from 10% to 30%, now to half price. This is quite unheard of for a local fast fashion brand, much less a designer collaboration. I remember it took about 2 years before they put Rajo's first collection for Plains and Prints on sale.

Curious about it, I asked the manager of the branch why the sale came so soon. And her answer was succinct:

"Hindi mabenta, sir."

It's an answer that actually surprised me. How could something this nice not be sellable? It has everything going for it, yet it's not being received well by the consumers? Fashion can sometimes be perplexing.

Maybe it's because the dresses are "too luxe" for the regular buyer. After all, it takes a certain amount of panache and aplomb to carry the dresses.

Then again, it might be "not too luxe" for the buyer who's used to luxury. After all, the fabric is cotton jersey, which is basically a t-shirt. And the construction of some garments aren't that great, with some of the drapes held by a single stitch of thread.

Yes, fashion can sometimes be perplexing.

But hey, now that it's 50% off, then it means it'll be less of a guilt to buy it.

No comments: