Monday, July 06, 2009

Sometimes it's good to be a worm.

Rarely do I shop during the first day of a sale. The only time I do that is when it's a one-day sale, or when it's Plains and Prints going on sale. (You can't dilly-dally on a Plains and Prints sale.) The reasons are simple. One, prices of sale items freefall during the final days of a sale, and two, there are usually enough stocks to go around, so there's really no need to rush.

Last week, I received an invite to the Private sale of the RSS group. That meant Topman, Topshop and Dorothy Perkins at prices that will make people teary-eyed. Eventhough I had an invite, the thought of going didn't really cross my mind. But when Dorothy Perkins was beside the bank where my transaction was to be made, "what the heck," was the thought that crossed my mind.

Admittedly, there were a lot of things that caught my eye. Among them were a series of belted tunics. "Series" because they were of the same fabric, the same family of jewel tones, and same elastic patent belts. After checking out the price, I nearly dropped the merchandise. Cheap and cheerful, as Princess Shashie would say. There was a watercolor-print dress - even more cheap and cheerful. And a rubber-looking denim from Topshop.

There were still a number of these items on the rack, so conventional wisdom would say: just come back for it after a few days. This was wisdom I'd often follow, and the next scene would've been me putting the items down and walking away.

But since I was there anyway, and since I was there anyway, I decided not to wait until the last day and purchase them on the spot. Happy camper smile and the usual spring-in-my-step followed soon after.

Today, Dorothy Perkins was once again along the way. Swung by to check out the sale racks, and voila! All the jewel colored tunics were gone. No more watercolor print dresses. Jeans were likewise a thing of the past. The racks and racks of clothes were wiped out in a matter of days.

Thank goodness I listened to "unconventional wisdom" this weekend. I would've missed out on a lot of good stuff if I did.

No comments: