Sunday, December 11, 2005

My new travel buddy

Melvin and I headed off to Festival Walk today after mass and it was surprising that this was his first time to visit the mall. He goes down at the Kowloon Tong KCR station each time he travels from Shenzhen to HK, but he always takes the subway so he missed seeing one of my favorite malls in HK. One reason why I love Festival Walk is because of its humungous Page One branch. Long before Page Once came (and gone) to Manila, i've seen it in HK when Chris brought Maricar and me to the mall way back in 2001. That time, it was still pretty new and people came in droves to check out the myriad of book choices the store offered. Today, I picked up this book which will be my new travel buddy as of tonight. Entitled "1,000 places to see before you die," it features the 1,000 top travel destinations from all around the world. And man! Do they have every part of the world covered. From usual tourist traps like Europe, to relatively unknown islands like Bonaire, - they have it in their review. What's great about this book is that it avoids the tourist cliches and the oft-beaten paths. In contrast, it visits nice restaurants, unknown museums, houses with historical significance, and other must-see attractions. I leafed through the pages quickly and found out that a lot of the places I visited are listed there, but at the same time, an equal number of my favorite spots aren't even mentioned. Most of my favorite places in Mexico, like San Luis Potosi didn't even appear in the book, to my dismay. From my quick 30 minute scan of the book, here are some things i've learned: 1. I've been to all the "must visit" spots in Prague 2. The author and I feel exactly the same way about San Miguel de Allende 3. The Philippines has 3 entries in the book: Tagaytay, Banaue and Amanpulo 4. I've been to Amsterdam a couple of times, and there's this "must visit" place behind the flat I was staying in, and I didn't even notice it. 5. There are more Carribean Islands than we could have imagined. 6. I MUST VISIT BRAZIL! This book is a good buy, plus a must read, considering i'm off to Spain again next year. After looking at the "Spain" section, my resolve to take a train from Barcelona to Madrid to Bilbao to Santiago has further been heightened. At least now, I have an idea where to go. Ah, the travel bug bites once more.

No comments: