Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Lookie who's playing hooky?

It's a slow day today, so i'm planning to re-live my Makati and Ortigas days. 

Back in my previous agencies, whenever work would be scarce and there's nothing to do, i'd play hooky and head for the nearest mall. I would either do some shopping, watch a movie, or just meander aimlessly around. 

During my Adformatix days, our lunchtimes would be spent in Greenbelt at Triple V, coupled with some serious shopping along Greenbelt Plaza. Erwin, Xtine and I had lunch at Triple V, then hung out at National Book Store checking out magazines and books. 

Another option would be Makati Cinema Square where we'd check out Angela's for super surplus stuff. Or go to Plaza Fair to buy groceries for our pantry. 

By 1996, I transferred to San Miguel Corporation, and our office was behind SM Megamall. Everday, i'd be at Megamall, either having lunch, buying props, or simply being there. There was even a joke about how our office was connected to the mall. Megmall was divided into two major areas - SM-A and SM-B, and we were SM-C. This was to the chagrin of the management since productivity was really suffering because of our Mega-excursions. 

 My favorite working years were between 2001 to 2003 when DYR was still in Wynsum building along Emerald Avenue. Robinsons Galleria - once and forever my favorite mall - was just 5 minutes away by foot. That alone was reason enough for me to consider the office as paradise on earth. Aside from the fact that it was just 15 minutes away from home, it was also within arms distance from 4 major malls - Galleria, Podium, Megamall and Shangri-La! Needless to say, i'd spend most of my time out of the office rather than in. 


When our office moved to RCBC in Makati, getting to a mall was a bit of a challenge. After all, we were at the far end of Ayala, so Greenbelt would be a good 15 minutes by foot. A daunting task, but I was never one to chicken out. So every lunchtime, or whenever I felt bored, or if my groupmates irritated the *h*t out of me, i'd play hooky and go all the way to Glorietta to de-stress and have fun. 

Playing hooky was one thing I knew I'd be giving up when I moved to Hong Kong. For one, our office area isn't conducive to "playing hooky." There's nothing around us but residential buidlings, offices and a few supermarkets. The nearest meander area here would be Provident World, and all you can see there is the Adidas Outlet store and a couple of clothes surplus places. Slim pickings, I know, but beggars can't be choosers. 

Today, though, i've decided to go all out and all the way. I'm going to HMV to look for new magazines and DVD, then head off to the Cinema-Art where they show nice art films. It's not as exciting as going to Greenbelt or Glorietta, but it's a start. 

Again, we have to make the most of what's given to us. This is all I have at this point. Strange as it may seem, I think this little act is something that gives a sense a normalcy to my life. And normal is good.

No comments: