Thursday, August 15, 2019

Little Women, Big impact

When I first saw the film "Little Women" way back in 1994, the film left such an imprint in my heart and mind. It immediately became one of my favorite films.

The stories of Jo, Meg, Beth and Amy were so heartfelt and current, it was hard to believe this was a period film. The film was also acted very beautifully by - at that time - up and coming actresses like Trini Alvarado, Winona Ryder, Claire Danes and Kirsten Dunst. Then, of course, there was Susan Sarandon as the matriarch.

I still remember the rage in my heart when Amy threw Jo's manuscript into the fireplace, and how my heart broke when Beth said "I, too, can be brave" on her deathbed.

It's been 25 years since the film came out, and Hollywood decided to release a new version this year:



This, too, has a powerhouse cast. (Hello, Meryl Streep!) And I'm sure they'll give justice to the roles.

But for me, the 1994 version is still the standard.

No comments: