Sunday, June 26, 2011

Happy for her

With Marite in town for a short break, it was the perfect excuse - and time - to get together. So, one lazy afternoon, we met up at Starbucks for some major catching up. And not only did Marite bring a lot of stories, Happy brought some big news.



Happy and I were colleagues and friends way back when Y&R was still Dentsu, Young and Rubicam-Alcantara. She was one of the AEs in our team, and she was one of our favorite lunch/mall/hang out buddies.

Happy is the quintessential sheltered girl. You could tell by the way she carries herself: the way she talks, she deals with people, and basically, the way she lives. I've got a chocfull of "Happy Stories", like how we forced to her ride a jeep with us to Galleria and she felt violated by the act. There's the endless list of "driver stories." And of course, my personal favorite:

ME: Haps, anong hinihintay mo?
HAPPY: I'm just waiting for my driver.
ME: Ayan na yata! (pointing to a Toyota Revo)
HAPPY: Revo? Ano kami, poor?

Being a sheltered girl, she never commutes, always has a maid and driver, and pretty much lives a life of leisure. So when she told us this piece of news, we were all thrilled.

She's moving to Singapore to live independently!

Independently: No driver and no maids. No yayas, labanderas, plantsadoras. No one at her beck and call. She'd have to commute. Do her own groceries. Do her own laundry. Do everything on her own.

Of course, our question was: "Haps, are you sure about this? Kaya mo ba?"

She smiled, said: "Oo naman" and told us stories about her first foray into independent living.

And judging by her stories, I think she'll thrive and do very well as an independent woman.



I'm so happy for her, because she's finally moving out of her comfort zone and really taking life by the horns. And after hearing her story, I couldn't help but smile.

Her story now was my story 6 years ago when I moved to HKG.

No comments: