Monday, November 17, 2008

Phillip pines

Watching TMZ is one of my current guilty pleasures. I'm both amazed and infuriated at how press people can be so intrusive, and it's that combination that makes it good viewing.

While waiting for TMZ to come on, I caught the replay of Project Runway Philippines' grand finale. What struck me most about the program and the episode wasn't the final runway show (which is what I look forward to in the American version) or the announcement of the winner.

The thing that struck me most was what Phillip Tampus said. Phillip was the 1st runner up and he used to work as a designer in the Middle East. After finding out that he wasn't the grand prize winner, he said something that I thought was amazing:

"Hindi ako pinanganak na Filipino para maging isang alipin ng ibang lahi. Pinanganak akong Filipino dahil Filipino ako and I will be a Filipino designer."

Such patriotism and such pining for home and making a difference here at home. It's this quality that a lot of people need and I'm glad that there are people out there like Phillip who has that passion and dedication to make a difference at home.

In my opinion, with people like him, it's the country that really wins in the end.

No comments: