Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Strange Songs that make me teary-eyed

1. Anima Christi - This song was playing in the background during the last retreat I attended back in 1998. The activity that time was writing a letter to the person who meant the most to us, and in my case it was Mom. Since that episode, I get misty eyed each time I hear this song. Problem is, they play it most of the time during the 4:30 pm mass at Edsa Shrine. Ergo, I have to struggle and fight off tears each time I hear mass.

2. Biyahe Tayo - Yes, it's the Wow Philippines! theme song. During my last trip to HK, they played this song's MTV on-board the plane. After hearing it, there was a great sense of longing in my heart and I suddenly missed my country so much. Then I felt tears welling in my eyes, so the immediate reaction was to yank off the earphones lest people see a grown man crying in a plane. (Strange thing was, I was only gone for 4 days...)

3. Lucky - How in heaven's name can a Britney Spears syrupy pop ditty make a guy teary eyed? I have no idea, but my heart wrenches each time this song is played. Maybe it's the underlying story that no matter how perfect your life seems, there will always be something missing. Or that the concept of true happiness is something that no one will ever achieve. Or accomplishments really mean nothing in the bigger scheme of things. Nope, I haven't figured it out yet. But that doesn't stop the feeling from pervading.

No comments: