Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Scent Memory

There are certain scents that trigger a particular memory. It can be a memory that's recent or far back. 

Personal examples:

- The scent of freshly cut grass reminds me of childhood, spending our summers in Bicol and Lolo would ask the caretaker to mow the grass around the house.

- The scent of plastic balloon reminds me of my playmates in Tomas Morato and how we'd buy plastic balloon at Aling Ensa's store. Then we'd blow the balloon and make it burst on our foreheads.

- The scent of Nina Ricci L'air du Temps reminds me of Lola Dita since that's her favourite perfume.

- The scent of Caesar Salad dressing reminds me of Tita Evelyn and how she would make this from scratch - using anchovies, mustard, parmesan, among others.

That's how powerful scents are in triggering memories.

And that's the spirit behind these perfumes from Maison Margiela called "Replica." 

Each scent is designed to trigger a memory, aside from making you smell good. The first time I smelled this was in SG at the Margiela store, and I'm glad that they finally have this in the Philippines.

I'm actually not a perfume user, preferring colognes and clean scents. That's why I gravitate towards something like "Bubble Bath," which is a barely there scent.

Reminder to myself - buy that the next time I go to Rustan's.

No comments: