Saturday, February 12, 2022

Dress you up

No, this isn't a post about Madonna's iconic 80s song.

Though I like that song a lot. And my 2 sisters used to love dancing to that very infectious pop tune.

This is about a book that I've finally gotten around to start reading.

A book that chronicles the evolution of dresses, "The Dress: 100 ideas that changed fashion forever," is such a rich resource for anyone who's interested in fashion. 

It takes the world's biggest dress trends and tracks its historical context - some as far back as the Ancient Egyptian times. It clearly shows how fashion has evolved, but at the same time, is still rooted in the rich history of the generations and races that have come before us.

Another thing enjoyable about reading this book is that it features some of my favourite fashion designers and some of the breakthrough fashion moments. From Paul Poiret to Madame Gres to Paco Rabanne. From Issey Miyake's pleats to Dior's "New Look" to Azzedine Alaia's body con dresses.

Reading this is making me want to bring out my sketch pad and start doing my chicken scratches again. And hopefully soon, those sketches can be brought to Joy who will bring them to life as dresses.

No comments: