Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Sketchy Stories: The Gold Standard

When the folks finally decided to celebrate their Golden Wedding, Mom's first order of business was what to wear. She knew she wanted to wear something gold and modern, and she also knew that she didn't want to wear a Philippine Terno. After all, she already wore that during her wedding, as well as their 40th wedding anniversary.

Since this is a huge event, I knew I had to sketch something different. One with a higher standard, if you will. Finding the right fabric was the impetus of this exercise.

So, I went to the pile to see if there were any gold lace fabrics, and luckily, I found a few yards of fine, gold lace that I must've purchased a few years back.

From there, I brought out my trusty pencil and drew this up for Mom.


Next on the agenda, what the Morales ladies will wear.

The inspiration was bronze-gold with a touch of white. I went to my usual Divisoria haunt for some neoprene, tulle and lace, and started sketching the rest of the ensemble. Of course, the guideline was it had to be light, breezy, formal and within the color theme. And that guided me to do the following sketches:

For Ate Lissa, it was a sabrina-neckline gown with a see-through yoke. The white lace accents were placed on the shoulders and the bodice, and the dress was cinched with a gold belt.


Ate Bullet wanted something different from her usual strapless gown, so her sketch featured a very deep-V neckline with lace accents traveling down the diagonal road.


Rose has a fondness for halter tops, so that was the springboard for her sketch. It was a gown with a halter neckline, with thin straps holding it up. The lace was placed all over the front panel of a dress, like a bib.

Finally, Liz's sketch was an off-shoulder gown with a slightly asymmetrical design. Her lace went from one end of the shoulder, all the way to the back, and ending just slightly behind the other shoulder.



 The sketches were then brought to our trusty dressmaker, and voila!


Yup, I think these pretty much met their standards.

No comments: