Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Quite Contrary

First it was Etro, then Suno, and more recently, Peter Pilotto. 

More and more designers are embracing the art of mixing prints in bigger and bolder ways. An addition to the list of designers is Greek/Brit it-designer Mary Katrantzou. She's a young designer with a very whimsical take on printed dresses.

She's not that big here in Manila, but I've been following her for a few years now. She had a capsule collection with Topshop that I was hoping would be brought here. But alas, it wasn't. So, I just head over to the Nordstrom website to get my fix of Mary.

One of the dresses on the website that caught my eye was this. A mock turtleneck, halter top and full skirt confection. Made with 2 contrasting prints, of course!


It was so beautiful and covetable. Not to mention pricey. It's Nordstrom, after all.

So, imagine my surprise when I went to one of my haunts and saw this:


It's the Mary Katranzou dress!

On the contrary, I'm really not sure if it's a Mary Katranzou since the dress didn't have a label. But if you look at the side-by-side, you're looking at the same thing!


The prints are phenomenal. The materials are substantial. The workmanship, top notch. This can either be an overrun, or an excellently made replica.



Whatever it is, the dress is now about to find its way into my sisters closet.

It's a Mary day indeed!

No comments: