Saturday, August 27, 2011

Anne believable

In class today, we talked about film critique, and the subject lead to my students talking about the film "One Day."

Most of the students watched it already and they weren't too happy about it. Mainly because they felt that Anne Hathaway was miscast as a brooding, British girl who was living an underprivileged life. They said that they can't see Anne as a struggling writer and Mexican restaurant waitress, living with a shabby comic wannabe, and sulking most of the time in the film.

For them, Anne Hathaway is a bubbly, positive girl who always walks on the sunny side of the street. In fact, she's like this in most of her movies, and in life. They mentioned her turn as host at the Oscar's this year, and she was bubbly throughout the proceedings. (Even if James Franco was not.)

I haven't seen the film, and I'm not keen on doing so. Thus, I'm not sure if my students' observations are accurate or not. I'm not sure if her portrayal of a dark-ish role is unbelievable.

As far as I know, Anne Hathaway will always be Princess Mia Thermopolis:




And Princess Ella of Frell:



Now, how can someone like that be believable as a brooder?

No comments: