Monday, February 28, 2011

Same-same

Whenever someone asks me what Bangkok looks like, my reply would usually be: "It's just like Manila." When I was still living in HKG and someone would ask me what Manila looks like, my reply would be: "It's just like Bangkok."

It's probably because our infrastructure look the same, or the fact that Thais and Filipinos look very similar. It can be because of the usual chaos on the streets, or the throngs of people walking in the malls.

One unfortunate incident that highlights this similarity happened last Friday when Mark, Mau and I were trying to get a cab from Platinum Mall to MBK. Since it was already 4:30pm, the rush hour was starting. We got in line for a cab, but lo and behold, the cabs would ask people first where they were going. And if it was a bit far off, they'd flat out refuse. (Sounds familiar, eh?)

When we finally found a cab to take us to MBK, the driver tells us that he won't turn the meter on and he'll just charge us 80 baht (which is probably double of what we'll normally pay.) Because we were in a hurry, I just said yes and we went on our way.

On the road, the cab driver was complaining that if people were going to a far away place, he'd refuse because the traffic was bad. Again, it's something that cabbies here would do as well.



Yup, it's the same-same MO, just in a different country.

No comments: