Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Still the one

Nope, this isn't about that Shania Twain song.

This is about the news that came out today that Greenbelt 1 is finally closing its doors. 

Yes, the OG Greenbelt, the place where a lot of my memories were made, is finally being redeveloped. If you think about it, this was a long time coming. Compared to the Greenbelt Malls around it, particularly Greenbelt 5, it looks very dark, dreary and outdated. 

In fact, when my cousins from BCN are here, and we walk through Greenbelt, they notice the difference when we cross from Greenbelt 5 to Greenbelt 1. 

Despite that, Greenbelt 1 is still the most memorable Greenbelt for me.

As a kid, we'd go to the Coney Island branch here to get our ice cream fix. During my 1st job at Adfomratix, we'd often have lunch at Greenbelt 1. This is where the big Triple V Express used to be. Wendy's was also a go-to, and that store is still around until today.

They also had a big Cinderella store in Greenbelt 1 before. This is where I bought a Reno jacket with my 1st paycheck as a copywriter. That jacket is still with me, by the way. 

This is just some of the many, many memories that are still fresh in my mind. There's also National Sports Grill, OnStage, Greenbelt 1 Cinemas (the cheapest place to watch movies in Makati,) David's Tea House, Chili's - gosh, there are so many!

So, while it's going to be closed soon, Greenbelt will always be open in my mind and memories.

No comments: