Monday, March 04, 2019

Fine Vines

A few months ago, when we were in the US, I saw this store in Avalon called "Vineyard Vines."


It was a brand that was new to my ears and eyes. And judging from what they displayed on their windows, the brand aesthetic was very preppy.

Then, my sister-in-law Liz, gave me the 411 on the brand.

Apparently, it's a high end brand that's plugging in the void at Abercrombie and Fitch left. A&F, which used to be the bastion of preppy, upscale fast fashion, was losing its ground. Americans started to see A&F as pedestrian, and were leaving the brand en masse.

In came Vineyard Vines, which provided the same preppy, upscale aesthetic and image. Liz said it was pricey, but it was super popular among Americans. Browsed through the store, and it was okay. Nothing groundbreaking, but it was definitely preppy. Think Ralph Lauren during its early days.

So, why did I remember the brand all of a sudden? I've heard through the grapevine that they have an interesting collaboration coming up soon.

And due to the dearth of collaboration news, this is a fine development.

No comments: