Monday, May 07, 2018

Sketchy Stories: You've got it Maid

Aside from her wedding gown, Kris also asked me to design looks for her entourage. She had a maid-of-honor and 4 bridesmaids, and she wanted their dresses to be cohesive, yet individual enough to fit their personalities.

The fabric I chose for them was neoprene, so I wanted the dresses to be flowy, but still have a sense of structure. My solution, make the skirts full and flowy, and make the top portions of the dresses more structured and architectural. This was my mindset when I sketched these for the bridesmaids:

One had an athletic, halter and racerback top.



The second had a raglan sleeve with cutouts.

Third, capelet sleeves.


And fourth, an off-shoulder band.

For the maid of honor, I wanted her dress to be close to Kris' look. So, I went for a bustier top with lace covering the top until the 2nd hip. The skirt had an umbrella cut to mimic the fullness of Kris' skirt. To add an accent - I also added a belt.


Looking at them while they were being constructed, I was very satisfied. And when I saw them all together during the wedding - and this photo - I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear.


It's nice to be able to stretch my creativity into other things as well.

No comments: