Monday, May 25, 2015

(Bagoong) Rice to the top!


It's no secret that I'm a massive fan of Thai food. Whether I'm in MNL, BKK, HKG, SG, GUM, AMS or TYO, I always make it a point to try a Thai restaurant. My default orders would usually consist of Pad Thai, Tom Yum Goong and Som Tam.

Here at home, there are a couple of Thai restaurants that I like. This includes Som's, Chariya and the now defunct Mommy Thai in U.P.

Last week, I found this food court stall in SM called "Thaicoon." Needless to say, I had to try it out.

I ordered the chicken bagoong rice, which was this massive dish served on a hot plate. It's almost like Pepper Lunch, but Thai.


For a food court stall, Thaicoon was pretty good. For this particular dish, the rice was perfectly seasoned with a strong but not overpowering bagoong flavor. The mangoes had the right sourness, and the chicken was sweet. When mixed together, the flavors come together seamlessly.

And did I mention the servings were massive? At least for the bagoong rice.

I was planning to order the Som Tam and Tom Yung Goong, too. But I was stuffed with this dish alone.

That gives me a reason to check out Thaicoon again sometime soon.

No comments: