Thursday, June 05, 2014

Alfie's sketchy stories: Making the cake

It's been more than 2 decades since I've began sketching cakes as a hobby. 

First, they were just random sketches, then, sketches for birthday cakes, and eventually, wedding cake sketches.

Among the wedding cake sketches that I really enjoyed doing are the wedding cakes of D' Frendz. From Bonique, to Grace, to Rona, each cake had its own story. Because I'm making it for my best Frendz, there's more pressure. After all, I only want the best for them.

The latest wedding cake sketch I made was for Alfie's wedding. The inspirations for her cake were her favorite colors and her wedding flowers. Alfie has always been a purple girl, so I made each layer of her cake in a different shade of purple. And on the sides, I added hydrangea motifs.

Alfie and Bon are both very laid back folks, so even the bride and groom figures were laid back. Instead of standing, I designed them to be sitting relaxed on the 2nd layer of the cake. Finally, I put their wedding emblem on top.


Needless to say, the sketch came to life beautifully under the masterful hands of my brother-in-law, Raymond. 


Judging by how Bon and Alfie loved the cake, and seeing how so many people were having their photos taken with the cake, I'd say the design was a success. And making a successful cake for Alfie made it even sweeter.

No comments: