Saturday, May 10, 2014

Soba So Good


Whenever I miss the cold Kakiage soba that I often have in Tokyo, I always run to Komoro Soba in Megamall. Among the other restaurants where I've tried this dish, I think Komoro Soba is the most legit.

They have the taste down pat. The green soba has the right firmness and bite, the dipping sauce has the right flavor and kick once you've added the shallots and wasabi, and the Kakiage is crunchy and crusty as I remember the original one to be.

The only difference of this dish to the one being sold in Tokyo is that the portions are smaller, which I can deal with. I can always order 2 if the need arises.

So, as far as cold Kakiage sobas go, nothing gives me an authentic taste of Tokyo like Komoro Soba.

(Which reminds me that this restaurant is considered a "glorified carinderia" in Japan. The last time Mark and I ate there this April, some locals were scoffing at the place. Harhar.)

No comments: