Sunday, February 02, 2014

Sentimental Sunday

One of my favorite spots to visit in Bicol is this beautiful and rustic church in a sleepy town called Malinao, Albay. The church is called St. Joachim and St. Anne.


This church has a lot of significance to me and my family. For starters, this is the church where Mom and Dad got married 48 years ago. Second, it's where we used to hear mass during our summer visits to Bicol when I was a kid. Third, the church also doubled as a playground for me and my cousins. I remember going up the belfry and looking at the town from a higher vantage point. It was such a thrill.

Although it's been decades since all these things happened, I remember it like it was yesterday. It helps that the church still looks the same as when I was a kid. And the surrounding areas look like they did back in the 80s. Including this park where we'd breakdance as kids. (Yes, I was a breakdancer.)



After this visit, I can't help but wonder why it took me 14 years to go back to Mom's hometown. I should really visit this place more often.

No comments: