Monday, March 09, 2009

Extraordinary...

Despite a number of people saying otherwise, I'm constantly amazed at the innate kindness of Filipinos. Today, I saw that kindness once again at an unexpected place - inside a jeepney.

The jeepney I rode stopped at the EDSA-Aurora intersection to gather passengers. While waiting, the driver saw one of the barkers talking to a pair of weary looking travelers. It looked like they were asking for directions, and the barker pointed them to the direction of E. Rodriguez.

After the conversation, the jeepney driver asked the barker what the fuss was all about. The barker said that the pair needed to get to Araneta Avenue from EDSA and they asked for directions on how to get there on foot. The driver immediately asked why the pair was walking since their destination was quite far. To this, the barker replied that they only had enough money for their bus ride back to the province and didn't have jeepney money.

As the pair was walking off, the driver called them and asked them to board the jeep. They refused and said that it was ok since they couldn't pay the fare. The driver told them not to worry about it and he'd let them ride for free.

Since I was sitting beside the driver, I could sense his sincerity and genuine worry. At that moment, I wanted to pat him on the back, but that would be too weird. Harhar.

But it didn't stop there.

The driver started asking the pair where exactly they were going so he could drop them off in the right place. They said that they're going to the bus station to go back to the province.

Apparently, they were supposed to get a job in Manila. But they arrived later than the agreed on date, so when they got here, the job was filled up. They spent the last week trying to find work and using up the money they brought. And now, since they only had enough for the bus fare, they decided to head home.

Suddenly, the jeepney driver took P50 from his fare box and gave it to the pair. He said that they should buy something to eat. They initially refused because the driver already gave them a free ride, but the driver insisted. They eventually accepted it, and thanked him profusely.

At that point, I reached my destination and had to alight the jeepney. And as I was walking to my destination, I couldn't help but admire that man who gave a bit of his own earnings to help strangers in need. And it's this type of man who gives me renewed faith in the Filipino and the Philippines.

The great thing about this experience is the fact that it's another one of the many acts of kindess I've seen the past few months - mostly involving "ordinary" people. But just as I wrote in a campaign I did for a company a few years back, sometimes the most extraordinary things are done by the most ordinary people.

No comments: