Thursday, May 11, 2006

Up, up and a-waist!

In the continuing saga of: "I'm so bored with the daily commute that I take notice and take photos of little fashion oddities that come my way."


Yes, the locals do have a love affair with high waist jeans. More often than not, you'll see a guy here whose shirt is tucked in, and one can easily see that his pants are pulled high, then topped off with a belt. I rode the MTR with such a guy tonight, and his waist was unbelievably high, taking a picture was a must. (Thank goodness I have my old digicam in my bag tonight.) The photos are actually kind to this man, because his high-waisted-ness wasn't as obvious. But if - like me - you saw it in the flesh, you'd want to take a snapshot of it, too.

I swear! His jeans were pulled so high, a few inches more and it would be a bustier!

Maybe it's because i'm not a big fan of high waist jeans, in fact, i don't like high waist jeans at all. After discovering the joys of low rise denims, and subsequently, the ridiculously low rise denims (thanks to D' Squared), I've never been comfortable wearing jeans that don't fall below the 2nd hip.

The "2nd hip" is a concept taught to me by our wonderful, loveable, ultra-talented, so-deadma-that-she's-actually-cool, magic-wielding, and unofficial-modista-to-the-Morales-family, Aling Bright. In one of my fitting sessions, she passionately talked about the 1st hip and the 2nd hip, and how knowing these two will really help in making a piece of clothing fit well and fall nicely on the body.

The 1st hip is where the hip bones start, and for most people, that's an inch or 2 below the belly button. The 2nd hip is where the hip bone meets the leg bone, and it's usually where the nether regions start to get - uhm - hairy. D' Squared and Dolce & Gabbana introduced jeans that actually showed the - uhm - hairy regions last year. But of course, they're all for show. Heck, if people can't stand the sight of hair armpits, what more hairy - uhm - nether regions.

In terms of jeans, the American brands don't do low waist quite well. Gap, Old Navy, American Eagle and Abercrombie and Fitch do have low waist jeans in their repertoire, and i've actually bought a couple of them, but the pairs are still high waist in my book. It's the European brands that make awesome pairs. Energie from Italy, Zara and Pull & Bear from Spain, H&M from Sweden, and Parasuco from France. They've got pairs that sit way below the waist, skim the leg, then open up at the hem - a combination that can flatter any figure (supposing they're 5'8" or taller.)


The nice thing is, most of these low waist brands are available in Hong Kong. That's why it's so easy for me to get my low waist jean fix in this part of Asia. But it's too easy, in fact, that I have more than enough in my closet already. But that is me, of course. Obviously, this man hasn't heard of them yet.

2 comments:

Somnambulist Nocturnal said...

funny, you've been playing fashion police lately! =)

Dazed and Confused said...

Yup, that's what boredom can do. Wait til I get to Shenzhen. That's when the real fashion police fun begins! Hahaha.